Do you love theater but are not a performer? Then join the Stagecraft & Production Pathway at Newbury Park High School, where you will learn the backstage arts of putting on a production. Our students operate the lights and sound, build sets, make costumes and props, and are responsible for making the theatrical productions at NPHS come alive! This is a hands-on pathway, where students can learn by doing. Students also have the opportunity to work with industry professionals, go on field trips to professional theaters and studios, gain internships, and learn skills that can translate to the theatrical and film world.
This Pathway teaches you ...
- The confidence to work backstage in a production
- Industry standard safety precautions, rules and regulations
- The skills and vocabulary needed to be a professional backstage technician
- Professionalism and etiquette during the production process
- Job training and interview skills
- How to put together a professional portfolio
Real-world opportunities through this Pathway include ...
- Hands-on stage experience during NPHS events, in areas such as lighting, rigging, set design and stage management
- Internships and hands-on work with local theater companies
- Networking with industry professionals
This Pathway will prepare me for …
This Pathway prepares you to continue your more focused education at a higher learning institution and/or a path into the entertainment industry workforce in the theatrical or film industry. Alumni students have been hired at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza, UCLA Royce Hall, Disney and other professional theaters across the country.